Fri, 13 March 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT gets you prepped for Maryland's first ever Big Ten tournament game against Indiana by welcoming Kyle Swick from Crimson Quarry to the pod. Kyle brings us up to speed on the Hoosiers who beat Northwestern last night and may or may not still be on the bubble. They also get into Tom Crean's job status, what this third game between Indiana and the Terrapins will look like, Alex Olaf flopping around and why CT can't eat ribs when Maryland is playing.
We'll be back in the pod after tonight's game to recap the action.
Tue, 10 March 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT, Matt, Dan and Eric wrap up the regular season and look ahead to post-season play, which they’ve been waiting on for a week. The guys get into Mark Turgeon getting the media Big Ten Coach of the Year Award, who’s more deserving: Turgeon or Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan, if Maryland is really the #8 team in the country, the ugliness of the Nebraska and Rutgers games, potential Big Ten tournament match-ups and much more #RollTerps
Topics discussed include:
- Matt gets a new car, invents the Miller Index
Mark Turgeon wins media-voted Big Ten Coach of the Year, Bo Ryan gets the award from the coaches
- Who really deserves it? Eric thinks Turgeon deserves it, Dan thinks it’s unfair to to discount Bo Ryan because of his team’s talent and the fulfillment of expectations
- The Miller Index ranks Turgeon as a better looking coach than Ryan
- "For an older gentleman, he doesn’t look bad”
- The podcast gets interrupted by Matt’s roommate, the guys discuss the best podcast interruptions of the season
- It would have been laughable to think this was the #8 team in the country in the fall
- Is Maryland really the eighth best team in the country? Where do they actually fall?
- CT thinks the effort the team put forth this year is what put them over the edge, especially in tight contests. Big difference between this year’s team and last
- The guys have the “lucky, damn good or somewhere in between” conversation as it pertains to close games
- The Nebraska game was an ugly foul-fest
- It’s not lucky that the Terps are money at drawing and making free throws
- Rutgers game also wasn’t great
- Dez Wells has a big game, been going bananas lately
- BBQ Ben pours Dan a huge glass of wine
- Tons of Maryland fans in Piscataway, N.J. — Rutgers is a disaster
- The RAC looks like an old Soviet bunker
- Terps have the #2 seed in the Big Ten tournament
- The guys would, obviously, prefer to play Northwestern
- Northwestern is playing well, Indiana swooning
- Matt says it doesn’t matter who the Terps play, CT is having a hard time being comfortable that Maryland can beat anyone in the conference
- Dan tells CT not to make ribs for the games, last time the Terps got blown out to Indiana
- Selection Sunday should be exciting
Direct download: RSR-The_Miller_Index.mp3
-- posted at: 12:40am EDT
Tue, 3 March 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT, Dan and Eric convene to reflect on a big week in Maryland basketball. They talk about what it’s like for the Terps to be relevant nationally, as this is normally the time of the season the team and podcast fall off the radar. They get into the exciting upset over Wisconsin, closing out conference play undefeated at home against Michigan, Terrell Stoglin balling and brawling in Lebanon, legal marijuana in the District, and much more.
Topics discussed include:
- Dan and CT hang out with a bunch of fellow Terps over the weekend, party hop around Baltimore
- How does it feel for Maryland to be relevant nationally once again?
- This is the time of the year the podcast normally falls off as well
- Wisconsin game
- The strong defensive effort in the first half
- Michal Cekovsky’s play on the Badgers’ Frank Kaminsky
- People who whine about court storming are dumb
- Dez Wells adds another memorable game to his resume, Melo Trimble impressive as always
- Thoughts on the flash mob — They should stop calling it a flash mob
- Tuesday and Saturday’s broadcasts fawning over the crowd at Xfinity Center
- Michigan game
- CT argues the Terps best lineup is with Evan Smotrycz playing the five
- The guys give love to Jared Nickens, whose impact has been slightly overlooked due to Trimble’s play
- Final two games are on the road against Rutgers and Nebraska — Let’s see which team shows up
- Terrell Stoglin get in an on-court altercation while playing basketball in Lebanon
- Dan wants to know if life in the District is different with legal marijuana
Tue, 24 February 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT, Eric and Matt convene to dig into Maryland’s victory over Nebraska and breakdown why the Terps have such a tough time closing the door on teams. Later, the guys have The Definitive Evan Smotrycz Conversation, condemning the student’s booing of him in the last game and peeling back the onion on this much maligned and complex Terp. They also preview Wisconsin, talk Dez Wells and senior day against Michigan, and close with the news of defensive coordinator Brian Stewart’s ouster. All that and more, on today’s Red Shell Radio.
Topics discussed include:
- Maryland’s 69-65 victory over Nebraska at home
- Similarities between this game and the win over Penn State
- Gushing over Melo Trimble, scores 26 on nine shots, hits two big three-pointers in the final four minutes
- The Big Three strikes again
- Dez Wells and Richaud Pack hold Terran Petteway to 8 points, 2-14 shooting
- Why does Maryland struggle to slam the door on teams?
- The Definitive Evan Smotrycz Conversation:
- The students cheer when he’s subbed out for Damonte Dodd
- Eric has a new theory on Smo
- Where does this irrational anger come from?
- What’s Smotrycz’ deal?
- Is he actually the fourth best player on the team?
- Let’s be real, though, he has massively regressed from last year
- Why do we have different standards for him than fellow transfer Jonathan Graham?
- The Wisconsin game
- We’re excited for it! The Xfinity Center is going to be rockin’
- Traffic will be a nightmare, it’s impossible to get from work to the game for a 7 p.m. tip
- CT says the way to beat Wisconsin is to frustrate Frank Kaminsky and try to get him into foul trouble
- Miller thinks the key will be on the offensive end
- Final home game against the Michigan Wolverines on Saturday
- CT shells out for Michigan tickets
- Dez’ last game in College Park, CT has as soft spot for Dez. Red Shell Radio has been around for his entire career at Maryland, covering the news of his immediate eligibility in the first episode
- Defensive coordinator Brian Steward is OUT at Maryland
- Stewart is replaced from within with inside linebackers coach Keith Dudzinski
- Eric and CT are surprised at the move, at this point in time – Matt is not, reminding the pod this is something Randy Edsall has done before
- Stefon Diggs shines at the combine, Deon Long looks nice too
Wed, 18 February 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT, Dan and Eric look back at a stabilizing week for Maryland basketball with a tight home win over Indiana and a completion of the sweep against the Nittany Lions on the road. Later, they discuss their Valentine's Day plans, if the game came in conflict with those plans and they touch on McDonald's new Old Bay fish filet sandwich. Topics covered include:
- The guys' lack of snowday
- Dan gets fired up about teachers demanding days off on Facebook
- Thoughts on the Indiana game
- CT and BBQ Ben go to the game, Ben gets made about the guy who stands in front of him -- What do you do in such a situation?
- Yogi Ferrell as a ferocious jungle cat -- He almost hits a shot to win and tie at the buzzer
- Do you have rivalry feelings about Penn State?
- Thoughts on Pat Chambers' post-game comments
- The tradition of PSU coaches talking trash about Maryland
- The season looks very different today than it did a week ago
- Did your Valentine's Day conflict with the Terps game?
- Old Bay Filet O' Fish is released locally
Direct download: RSR-Non-Snowday.mp3
-- posted at: 7:49am EDT
Tue, 10 February 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, the four-man squad of CT, Dan, Eric and Matt meet to discuss Maryland’s third straight thrashing on the road against Iowa, preceded by a tough game against Penn State at home. Topics discussed include:
- Matt returns to the lounge after sickness and a Vegas trip
- Adam Woodberry poking Melo Trimble in the eye
- The dreadful first half against Iowa
- Don’t hit the panic button
- Trimble breaks out of his field goal drought, scores 20
- Matt thinks the Terps’ struggles on the road are mental
- Was that actual the worst half of basketball we’ve seen in recent history?
- Tight one against Penn State at home
- Eric felt the team looked tentative shooting in the first half against the Nittany Lions
- Layman still goes in and out of a lot of games, same as it ever was
- A look at the race for second place in the Big Ten
- Dan asks if the offense runs better without Dez Wells on the floor?
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars running backs coach Terry Richardson hired for the same position with Maryland
- Caleb Rowe applies for an extra year of eligibility
Direct download: RSR-Eyepokers_and_Poor_Performances.mp3
-- posted at: 8:31am EDT
Tue, 3 February 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT, Dan and Eric convene to do their best to stay levelheaded following a blasting by Ohio State in Columbus. They examine what’s been ailing Maryland in recent weeks, the most frustrating things about this poor spell of play, look ahead at the schedule and discuss reasons why Terp fans should stay positive. The guys also describe what they do to clear their heads after a rough week at work and Dan has a pair of odd purchases from Amazon.
Later, the guys welcome to the Lounge Adam McGinnis, Iowa alumnus and blogger at TruthAboutIt.net. Adam. Topics discussed include:
- Recapping Iowa’s season to this point
- Aaron White’s injury status
- Strengths and weaknesses of the Hawkeyes
- A brief rundown of the current Maryland squad
- The benefits of joining the Big Ten
- Raycom sucks
- Iowa’s recent coaching history
- The Adam Woodbury-Dan Dakich-Fran McCaffery drama
- Greg Anthony busted for picking up a hooker in Logan Circle
Wed, 28 January 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT, Dan and Eric look back at what was nearly a two-loss week, if not for some late-game heroics from Dez Wells against Northwestern. The guys also invite Eleven Warriors writer Nicholas Jervey to bring Terp fans up to speed on Ohio State ahead of Thursday’s tilt, and Eric nearly burns down the SVP Lounge.
Discussed in this week’s pod:
* Where were you when Dez sunk the winning shot?
* The most discouraging things from the first 36 minutes against Northwestern
* What salvaging a win means
* Why they’re not worried about losing to Indiana
* What CT was doing while watching the Terps play the Hoosiers
* How Sunday night’s victory changed the perception of the team
Later, Eleven Warriors writer Nicholas Jervey joins the pod to breakdown the Buckeyes, touching on:
* Does anyone care about basketball or is everything still basking in the glow of a national championship
* Evaluating where Ohio State is at this point in the season
* Who is Amir Williams and why is he so hated?
* D’Angelo Russell
* The outsider’s perception of Maryland
* Isaiah Prince’s recruitment
Closing out the show, the guys get into:
* Their thoughts on Maryland’s chances against Ohio State
* D’Andre Payne’s transfer from Tennessee to Maryland
* 2016 high school guard Anthony Cowan transfers to Maryland
* A Terrell Stoglin/Braxton Dupree overseas update
Direct download: RSR-Fire_in_the_SVP_Lounge.mp3
-- posted at: 12:52am EDT
Wed, 21 January 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge CT and Matt give some final thoughts on Maryland’s victory over Michigan State and how they feel about the season at this point, staring down another tough test on the road against a ranked team in Indiana.
Later, Kyle Swick of Crimson Quarry joins the pod to school the guys on the Terps next opponent, the no. 23 Indiana Hoosiers. Swick hits on:
- Indiana’s insane offseason that was somehow more dysfunctional than Maryland’s
- The complicated relationship fans have with Tom Crean and how many have the not-so-secret-hots for Brad Stevens
- Can’t everyone just enjoy this team?
- Justin Blackmon, Jr., Yogi Ferrell and Indiana’s guard play
- His concern over the Hoosier’s lack of size
- The opponent’s perception of the Terps
- What the atmosphere should be like in Assembly Hall on Thursday
Direct download: RSR-Kyle_Swick_in_the_SVP_Lounge.mp3
-- posted at: 7:52am EDT
Tue, 20 January 2015
Today in the SVP Lounge, CT and Dan marvel over the Terrapins win against Michigan State, drumming the Spartans at home behind the ESPN college basketball player of the week in Melo Trimble and the Big Ten player of the week in Jake Layman. They also discuss their Friday night out in DC and the sneakiness of Jello shots.
Later, they welcome CBS Sports college basketball writer Matt Norlander to the SVP Lounge to talk a little Scott Van Pelt, but mostly to examine the Terps season to date, his initial feelings when Maryland hired Mark Turgeon, revisiting last spring’s roster turnover, Romelo Trimble’s exciting year, where the Terps stand going forward in the Big Ten race and a reminder from the entire pod that rankings aren’t worth getting upset over.
New episode tomorrow with Crimson Quarry’s Kyle Swick to talk about Maryland’s Thursday trip to Bloomington to face a ranked Indiana team.
Direct download: RSR-Matt_Norlander_in_the_SVP_Lounge.mp3
-- posted at: 12:06am EDT